- 6:30 p.m. on the First Thursday of each month.
- Peter J. Feeney Conference Room, Cumberland County Courthouse
- 142 Federal St., Portland, ME 04101
- Stephen D. Bither, Term expires 12/2023
- Peter Coyne, Term expires 12/2023
- Jamie M. Crain, Term expires 12/2023
- Alex Coupe, Term expires 12/2023
- David Silk, Term expires 12/2022
- Elizabeth McFadden, Term expires 12/2022
The Cumberland County Commissioners appoint a County Board of Assessment Review (BAR) to hear tax abatement appeals for those municipalities in Cumberland County that do not have a local board of assessment review.
Currently, the BAR hears appeals for the towns of:
- Chebeague Island
- Frye Island
- New Gloucester
The BAR is guided by Title 36 M.R.S.A. § 844-M.
View BAR Rules of Procedure (PDF)
VIew Instructions for Applicants
Notice is hereby given by the Cumberland County Board of Commissioners to fill two (2) vacancies on the Cumberland County Board of Assessment Review (BAR). The BAR By-laws require candidates meet the following requirements: They must be a resident of Cumberland County and must be one of the following – a lawyer that has property experience; a certified assessor; a certified appraiser or a realtor. Candidates must possess knowledge of taxation and property values. The term of this volunteer service will expire TBD. The BAR Committee meets the first Thursday of a hearing month at 6:30 PM. There is a small stipend for attending meetings and travel expenses will be paid.
Please send you letter of interest and resume to the following:
142 Federal Street, Room 100
Portland, ME 04101
Or email to: email@example.com.